Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alabaster Books

Silver dust bunnies frame the shelves in Alabaster Books, a tiny bookshop at the corner of 12th Street and 4th Avenue. The air is musty, the lighting is bad in an endearing sort of way, and there’s an impressive selection for such a small space.

The books are separated into basic genres, like history, literature, mystery, and travel. There’s also a New York section which has some books about the history of the city. I enjoyed the art section in particular, especially a photo book on the artwork of Gonzo journalism, which I plan to buy if I ever stumble upon 75 dollars.

Outside, shelves of $2 books stand in front of the windows to lure customers inside. These books are the store’s biggest sellers, according to manager Chris Cosgrove, but I was disappointed in their selection. I saw some legitimate history books, but nothing else worthwhile: Dr. Atkin’s New Diet Revolution, Gossip Girl: All I Want is Everything, and so on.

A shelf behind the desk is fancier and more intimidating than its dusty counterparts; the owner keeps rare and first edition books here. I won’t pretend to know much about first edition books and how expensive they should be, but I saw a man reserve a book that “had not yet been priced,” and watched him demand with particular zealotry that he be called as soon as the book was available for sale.

The store deals almost entirely in used books, which people sell to them on a walk-in basis. Cosgrove said the owner is not too particular, checking mostly whether the book is in good condition and would fit into one of their designated genres. The one customer I saw trying to sell a few of her books was rejected.

If Alabaster does buy a customer’s books, they pay in cash or store credit; those who choose store credit get twice as much money as those who choose cash, an ingenious way of boosting sales and encouraging readers. For those who sell their old books to make room for new ones, I’d recommend going to Alabaster.

The store is a three minute walk from The Strand, but has still been fairing well in the past few years. “We only have 1 or 2 miles, to their 18 miles,” said Cosgrove. “But I’d like to think we have a more nuanced selection.”

He mentioned the Beatniks and cult writers as his favorite assets to the store, the same crowd worshipped by most independent bookstores in the city, as I’m discovering. “We try to cater to the reading habits of New Yorkers,” he said.

Cosgrove, a blithesome young man with puffy hair and glasses, took on his post as manager two weeks ago. He previously worked at Skyline Books on 18th street, which closed last month.

“I gravitate to work in bookstores,” he said. “I have humble needs and sitting at this desk provides plenty of time for reading and writing.” He ran his fingers along the art shelf to his left. “So far, I would say I like it here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment